Friday, March 27, 2009

World Ice Art Championship

Spring is coming to Fairbanks...the sun rises before 8:00am and sets after 8:00pm, the roads are starting to turn into mush, the temperature is above 30°, Chris is busy snow machining on the weekends, and poop is appearing throughout our yard. A Spring family tradition is to walk around the World Ice Art Championship and see all of the amazing ice sculptures.
This year was no exception, they had sculptures of all shapes, sizes, and designs. It always amazes me how some of the artists can conceptualize an idea, draw it on paper, and then carve it out of a block of ice.
Here is one of my favorite multi-block ice sculptures depicting Alaska animals playing instruments!
Here's a picture of my parents posing in front of the BP ice stage.

Here is our favorite single block ice sculpture.

Every year they have huge ice slides for the kids...and us adults who are kids at heart! We convinced my parents to slide down it first, they easily glided down the giant slide on their butts and then my dad found a plastic sled that he thought would be fun to use. My mom was the first one to go down the slide with a sled. My dad didn't realize that plastic sled + ice = launching down the ice slide, so he gave her a little nudge and she flew down it. Chris went next and launched himself beyond the slide and over a giant dip in the snow sending him into the air and into a snow bank!! My dad and I learned from their mistakes and enjoyed our rides!
Baby Bunch is doing well and getting bigger by the day. I passed my diabetes test, thankfully because diabetes is very genetic in our family, and have to get my RH shot in a few weeks. Chris and I started to work on the nursery, and I am excited to see how it is going to turn out...hopefully pictures will be coming soon. We have started retrieving classes with Tucker, and it has been a little challenging. He does great at retrieving the dummies and bringing them back to you, but he gets a little distracted when we have to walk in a circle with 20 other dogs and heel. This weekend Chris has to go to training for work, so hopefully the stubborn guy will listen to me even though I am definitely not the alpha dog in the family :)

3 comments:

Sally Brown said...

Those ice scupltures bring back some good memories! Your stories crack me up...I can just see Chris shooting down the ice slide! I'm really glad you passed your test. I'm also really glad you learned from my mistakes regarding the test :)

The Tylers said...

Those are amazing pictures & I got a good laugh picturing your family mishaps! We can't wait to find out what you are having. Take care of yourself.

Brooke and David said...

Yeah for longer hours of daylight! I'm sure you guys are ready for spring/summer up there. Glad to hear things are going well and baby Bunch is doing great!